Think about this foot fact: Your feet are one of the most overused, overworked and under-valued parts of your body – and there are so many things you don’t know about your feet.
We take our feet for granted (like other health aspects). We don’t mean to but we do forget about our poor feet and what we put them through each day.
We don’t think about getting out of bed each morning and walking to the kitchen to make a smoothie before jumping on the bike to go for a ride, or heading out the door on a morning run.
Here’s a foot fact for you … In a single day, the average person takes 8000 to 10,000 steps and we don’t give it a second thought. Imagine doing that number of sit-ups or push-ups. You’d definitely notice your muscles then!
So here are some fast facts that may give you a new respect for your feet, especially if you are a runner … Did you know the pressure on your feet is up to three times your body weight when you run?
7 foot facts you don’t know about your feet:
- Each foot contains 26 bones, 33 joints and more than 100 muscles and tendons. The 52 bones in our feet make up one-quarter of the bones in our body. When they are out of alignment or not performing optimally this can cause a chain reaction to other parts of the body.
- There are approximately 25,000 sweat glands in a pair of feet and excrete as much as 500ml of moisture a day. Feet need to be kept dry to prevent bacteria from forming. So change your socks regularly.
- The soles of the feet contain more sweat glands and sensory nerve endings per square cm than any other part of the body. As a result, the foot is classed as sensory organ.
- A 6cm heel can increase the load on the forefoot by 75 per cent.
- If your foot splays and flexes while you move it can decrease the amount of tension on your calf and Achilles by up to 30 per cent. It is important for your foot to be working inside your shoe.
- Three per cent of the population are born with foot problems. But 75 per cent of the population experiences some form of foot problems in their lifetime.
- A large part of your balance comes from your feet and as the strength of your foot muscles decrease so too does your balance.
Here’s another foot fact for you: Your feet bear the brunt of nearly 1000 tons of force a day. What are some things that weigh 1000 tons? 148 elephants, 24 humpback whales, and 3 Boeing 747 jets.
If you want to start caring for your feet … Our network of fitters and medical professionals offer their own expertise and a personal fitting service to help you with performance and decreasing injuries.
As stand-alone businesses these fitters offer their own guarantees and fitting support too. Please contact your fitter directly if you have any product or fitting questions. Use the search facility here to find the nearest fitter to you.
Otherwise, you can choose and purchase your G8s directly from us here. Link https://www.g8performance.com/products/